LEA Consulting has its roots in two companies: ND Lea & Associates Ltd. and Lazarides, Lount and Partners. As shown in the timeline, the names of the companies have changed several times over the last 60+ years.

However, the entrepreneurial spirit shown by the founders of these two companies and the desire to remain a privately held company owned and managed by its employees are principles which we continue to live by.

Our Interactive Timeline

  • 1953

    T.O. Lazarides and Murray Lount opened an office on Scollard St. in Toronto, specializing in structural engineering. The firm’s skills were put to the test following Hurricane Hazel which demolished several bridges in southern Ontario in October of 1954.
  • 1960

    Lazarides, Lount and Partners was acquired by Nick Damas and Bob Smith and renamed Damas & Smith Ltd. The firm added transportation planning, highway design and municipal engineering to its scope of services in the 1960’s and opened offices in Winnipeg, Ottawa and London.
  • 1962

    N.D Lea & Associates was founded in Vancouver British Columbia by Norman (Norm) Lea and Al Andrews. The first major project undertaken by the company was the Upper Levels Highway Widening through North and West Vancouver. Photo: Norm Lea (left) and Al Andrews (right).
  • 1963

    In 1963 Norm moved to Toronto to set up an office in Ontario, while Al continued to manage the Vancouver office.
  • 1967

    Norm and Al reformed N.D. Lea & Associates with offices in Oakville, ON and Vancouver, BC.
  • 1968

    ND Lea expanded overseas in 1968 with the award of a Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) project in Trinidad This was the first of many international projects which took the Company to Sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia.
  • 1978

    In 1978 Al took over as President of ND Lea and Norman remained Chairman of the Board.
  • 1979 – 1984

    The first half of the 1980’s was a period of significant growth for ND Lea, particularly in Vancouver, led by major projects such as the Skytrain Automated Light Rail Transit System, the design of the Annacis and Coquihalla Highways and the Cambie Street Bridge.
  • 1982 – 1984

    Damas & Smith merged with J.D. Lee, who had offices in Kingston and Brantford, to form DSL Consultant. In 1984 DSL Consultants was acquired by ND Lea to strengthen its operations in Ontario. ND Lea was reorganized into four regional entities under the ND Lea umbrella: ND Lea Consultants (Vancouver), DS Lea Consultants (Winnipeg), DS-Lea Associates (Ontario) and ND Lea International for all projects outside Canada.
  • 1993

    ND Lea expanded its Asian operations to India with the formation of LEA Associates South Asia (LASA).
  • 1998

    Several of the owners of the ND Lea group acquired DS-Lea Associates and LASA. DS-Lea was re-named LEA Consulting Ltd. and, together with LEA International and LASA, the current LEA Group of Companies was formed.
  • 1999

    LEA Consulting started offering services for Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), and subsequently for infrastructure security systems.
  • 2004

    LASA won its first project in Ethiopia and has since expanded into Uganda, Tanzania, Botswana, Kenya, Mozambique, Mauritius and Oman.
  • 2015

    LEA Consulting expanded its structural engineering services from the design of transportation facilities to include buildings.
  • 2016

    LEA opens its second GTA location in the heart of downtown Toronto .

60+

years

Celebrating over 60 years in planning, engineering design and construction administration for transportation and urban infrastructure projects.